Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cows are People TOO

Susan, my secretary, and I had to go out to check the cows yesterday since Larry had to be in court to see about adopting his grandchildren. It was a beautiful day with a slight breeze from the south and temps in the low 60's F. Larry likes to look at the ones who are ready to calve twice a day and more frequently if a heifer is near. We have pulled about three calves in the past couple of years, only one that was alive.

Well we were met by the majority of the herd who associates us with food, all parties inspected us and after noting no food, went about grazing or lazing about the pasture. Susan and I headed off across the pasture to look at the playpen where all the new calves hang out together with only one momma cow in attendance. As we got close to the playpen, I heard a strange sounding "moo" which came from our east over a small rise. The pitch of the moo changed and was louder than is typical. The majority of the cattle herd was still north of our location and that of the most recent call by 150 yards.

I glanced north to see the herd all sprinting toward the call which was apparently a cry for help. Susan and I went over to investigate. When we got to the site of interest, all the older cows were crowded about a small just born calf and took turns nudging the lifeless calf with their noses trying to lift it up and get it on its feet. The mother of the calf had a bloody snout and pushed in and tried to raise the limp calf and one by one the older cows sniffed and in about 5 minutes they left to do what cows do. It was obvious the calf was dead.

The mother was distraught and began to head butt with another cow. Susan and I did not intervene, we went to my sister's place next door and got the back hoe, drove it to the calf, took two big scoops of earth out of the ground beside the dead calf and scooted it over into the grave and covered it with the earth we had removed. Many of the herd came over to watch.

When we left they sniffed around where the dead calf had lain. That calf was premature, had no fur and was all of about 30 lbs.
I hope we do not have a virus causing abortions. Time will tell. Nothing sadder that a dead calf unless it is a tiny wheelchair in a children's hospital. I can only conclude that cows are in communication with each other and are smarter than many of our leaders in congress. I wonder what our cows think about global warming? I wonder if congress would earmark a grant for me to study this? I will get Susan to apply for a grant.

Jackson D. Maybolt, President
Global/Urban Poverty Law Center


"Good fences make good neighbors. Good fences and a loaded gun make super good neighbors!" Mother Maybolt 1925-2008

No comments:

Post a Comment