Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Urban Poverty Law Center, Untitled Ambivalance

I wake up from my nap and I have chest pains. I can not decide whether to go to my doctor. Can somebody please call me an ambivalence.

That is what I dream of when I sleep the furtive sleep of a life wasted on academics for 28 of my first 33 years. When I had my 33 rd birthday my father was fond of saying to me at every opportunity: "You do realize that Christ died at 33."

To which I replied, "Yeah." Then there was no follow up, just his cold statement at the age of Christ's death.

I still wonder why he said that. And now my nephews will wonder why I say it to them when they turn 33. The first is set to hit that mark next year. I cannot wait to spring this mind teaser on them... maybe they will understand what the reference was about. To me it was just like the cartoons in the New Yorker which never seemed funny to me when I was a child and looked at them.

Well, I got out of my emergency medical residency at age 33 and was in a way raised from the dead. The medical education system in America exacts a rather large chunk out of your life and you only realize you have not done anything but live, eat, sleep, breathe, and breed medicine for almost a decade by the time they are done with you. That was 25 years ago and I still hear songs from the 80's that were hits then for the first time now.

Two of my nephews are following in my path, one is out of medical school and is doing a medicine residency in Knoxville Tn, and the other has begun his third year of medical school at the University of Colorado in Denver. They are too busy to answer my calls. I will be able to catch up with them in another few years and we will have a lot to talk about. Poor Devils! They don't know whether Obama Care is going to take all the financial benefits away from the people who dedicate say 4/5ths of their first three and a half decades of life to care for the sick and injured in a caring and competent fashion.

This will not be the first time someone has decided that the other group makes too much money. Mark Twain said it best. "No man can stand success, another's that is."

So the politics of greed and envy are practiced with great zeal and fortissimo under our current bunch of Communist aggitators. I hope the good people who like the quality of care they now get in medicine have the good sense to turn these bastards out come November. Time will tell, now where is the number for that ambivalence?

Jackson Delano Maybolt, President Urban Poverty Law Center



No comments:

Post a Comment